Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken Soup for the Soul - Inside Basketball by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and Pat Williams

This is a great back, especially for a hoops junkie like myself! I have started playing the game at age 4 and didn't stop playing competetively until 28 after a few injuries were hampering my performance both on and off the court. I owe a lot to the game of basketball, from perseverance to goal setting to meeting my wife. Both my wife and I played college basketball at The King's University College in Edmonton, Alberta. We met on a bus trip home from Grande Prairie in October 2000 - almost 10 years ago!
OK, now to the book. It has 101 stories about the game of basketball. Two in particular touched me. Story 100 is written by Jerry Schemmel, a broadcaster with the Denver Nuggets. In his story, he talks about being aboard the famous United Flight 232 en route from Denver to Chicago. This plane had to crash land in Sioux City, Iowa. I was 10 years old when this happened and remember hearing the news of the crash while working on my parents farm, 45 minutes north of the Sioux City Airport. Not only did it bring back memories to me, but it also had a great ending, where Jerry gave his life to the Lord about a year ago as the result of this traumatic event in his life.
The last story of the book is written by Pat Williams daughter, Karyn. It retells the great impact that her father has had on her life and how hard it was for her to leave home and pursue her dream of becoming a music artist. Having just had a daughter on January 5, I hope and pray that I can have the fraction of impact on my daughter Gemma that Pat has had on his daughter.
Overall, it is a great book and recommended to anyone who wants inspiration who has played the game that I love - basketball!

No comments:

Post a Comment